Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Mission Statement

For a while now, I have wanted to do something that is not necessitated because of work or pleasure. I suppose it’s a desire to build something that could be useful to others. I wanted to do something constructive and do it only because I want to and I can. To do something that will be of use to others, I had to work on something that I knew quite a bit about. And that brought me to Dynamics GP. I don’t want to go into my experience and expertise with GP. Suffice to say that it is one of the things that I am really good at.
How to use my knowledge of GP? The simplest choice was to create a blog. And thus was born “Insights of a GP Consultant.” This blog will be my attempt to share my knowledge of GP in way I think that is not being done a lot. There are lot of forums and sites with information on GP. How is this blog going to be different and more importantly, useful?
I am going to follow three simple rules.
Keep it functional (mostly).  Most of the existing blogs, forums, or websites are mostly technical even when they pertain to an ERP product like GP. Most people who use GP on a day to day basis are not technical gurus. This blog will be accessible to them. It will mainly address the functional aspects of GP and not get into the technical details. There may be instances when it becomes unavoidable when addressing certain topics, but in general technical details will be kept to a minimum
Keep it simple. This blog is not a white paper or a technical manual. It will be a simple article that addresses one topic in a straight forward and uncomplicated fashion. The language will be simple and the goal will be to breakdown complex information into small easily digestible parts. Screenshots and figures will be used to wherever necessary.
Keep it short. Posts will generally be short. The idea is to be able to read one post in 10 to 15 minutes (with a cup of coffee or a glass of wine) and not be overwhelmed with information. If a topic needs to be longer, then it will be broken into smaller pieces over multiple posts.
My hope is that because of these three reasons, this blog will be more accessible to regular day to day GP users.
Disclaimer: Let me use the disclaimer to give the first piece of advice on using GP. If you are not sure of the results of a particular operation, first try it in a test environment. Then move to production but before running the operation, make a backup (or have someone make it for you). Use this simple rule before trying any of my suggestions. You will not only be saving yourself from a lot of potential trouble but you will be less stressed when you run the process. You might even enjoy it.
With that being said, I would like to welcome you to my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment